Searchlights #3 and #4
Soquel Point, HD Kodiak
Home  |  Kodiak


Searchlights #3 and #4 are located at Soquel Point, to the south of Fort J. H. Smith. Each searchlight was equipped with a combined concrete shelter and power plant. Operators would move the searchlight to an operating possition the end of a short concrete track when needed.

Both searchlights were directed from a single Distant Electrical Control, or DEC, station. Although not shown so on Army plans, this double station is larger than a typical DEC.



DEC Station


Looking northwest at the DEC station.
August 2005
The rear of the station. It appears that the backfilling was never completed.
August 2005
The east side of the station.
August 2005
Looking east inside the station.
August 2005
Looking south in the station.
August 2005
The north corner of the DEC station.
August 2005
Detail of telephone mounting panel on the rear wall.
August 2005



Searchlight #3


The shelter, looking northwest.
August 2005
Detail of concrete tracks for the searchlight.
August 2005
Looking east inside the shelter.
August 2005
Inside the shelter, looking west.
August 2005



Searchlight #4


The front of the shelter.
August 2005
Detail of the only remaining door.
August 2005
Looking northeast inside the shelter.
August 2005
Inside the shelter, looking southwest.
August 2005







Documents
Form 4, Searchlight #3May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #3September 1, 1945
Form 4, Searchlight #4May 1, 1944
Plan, Searchlight #4September 1, 1945
Detail map of area.October 1944
Area of Illumination map. 




Home  |  Kodiak

Best viewed using Internet Explorer 6.0 at 800 X 850 with 96 PPI
Please make sure javascript is enabled for proper viewing.
Last modified on Thursday, 04/20/06, at 10:59 PM
copyright © 2003 - 2007 Andy Rohde
Conditions of use and Disclaimers